Page moved to: wavcuthhh

I just wrote a little something to cut .wav files into smaller audio files. It doesn't load the whole file into memory, and so will support large files. Many other programs do this, even ffmpeg, but I wanted to write this myself, in part because I wanted to be able to specify the cutpoints very precisely (by sample number, in fact). I also wanted to be sure no audio data was lost or altered.

To confirm correct results, I wrote a simple .wav analyzer that prints information about a wav file. It confirms that information in the header is correct and outputs the riff chunks. Use the -check option to see this.

This is called WavcutHHH so that it's clearly better than any existing program called Wavcut.

WavcutHHH will split a large .wav file into several files based on a text file
that specifies cut points.

wavcut.exe input.wav input.txt

First line of the .txt file is 'wavcut'.
Remaining lines of the .txt file should be numbers, specifying where to cut.
Refer to wavcut.exe trombone.wav trombone.txt as an example.

To check wav contents, use

wavcut.exe -check input.wav


Here's what it looks like (these are ~800kb because of an example .wav):
C# source
Win32 binary

On an unrelated note, I'm still in the midst of reorganizing my music library and moving to mp4. There are more hacks in the pipeline.