Page moved to: Minimath

Here is a long-term project of mine that still isn't finished, but is starting to become useful. I started this in a computer science class last year, so not all of it was done on my own time. At Olin, sometimes I'd like to have the software equivalent of my TI calculator. Matlab can be useful, but takes a while to load and cannot be described as light-weight. So, for quick calculations, I made Minimath, a small command line interface to evaluate math.

The main design goal was to save typing for commonly-occuring tasks. As you can see, the UI is pretty sparse now, and that is on my list of things to improve.

Features

Another feature is variable substitution. Pressing alt-, makes a "<-" symbol that can be used to subsitute values into an expression. For example, the result of "2*x^2 + 3*x <- 4" is 44.

Added Syntax

In the future, I plan to add more-advanced interpretation. For example, the string "3x4" could be recognized as "3*x^4", and "4(x+3)" to "4*(x+3)" Also, I should integrate Matplotlib or something similar.